Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Lights of Liberty and Ben Franklin's Ghost

When I did the Lights of Liberty tour back in... 2001? I think... it was not my favorite thing. You put on a headset and walk around Independence Park at night, listening to really good audio, but looking at really crappy lighting and projected images. It made me feel like a sheep...that is, sort of ridiculous. And at almost $20 per person, I don't really think it's worth it.

HOWEVER, the lobby for the Lights of Liberty show is open at 10am everyday, and they have a little gift shop and a really fun thing called Ben Franklin's Ghost, and it's FREE! My husband Seth introduced me to this wonderful machine this weekend, and though it is a little hokey, it is exactly the kind of thing I can get a kick out of for five minutes.

SO, if you're seeing the sights around Independence Park and want to duck into some air conditioning, go see old Ben's ghost! You can ask him preset questions, or even make up your own using a list of words on the computer. It's not half bad! And we were lucky enough to run into the man himself while we were there (or rather, the best look-alike ever who has been the official Ben for something like 20 years). It's at the corner of 6th and Chestnut, opposite Independence Hall.

No comments: