Tuesday, May 22, 2007

DUCK BOATS

The thing about people from Philadelphia is... they think Philly is the greatest city in the world, but then they get annoyed at tourists who want to visit and enjoy it in funny, tourist-y ways. And one of these tourist ventures that some Philadelphians love-to-hate are the Duck boats! We love them, though, and my two-year-old son and I often go Duck boat spotting-- he can see them coming a mile away and never ceases to be delighted by them!

The DUCKS are based on the design of WWII era amphibious vehicles. They drive around Independence Park, South Street, and Society Hill a bit, and then they drive into the river! You cruise the river for a tiny bit, and then drive back up on land. I took the tour with my 4-year-old as part of a birthday party, and we really enjoyed it together. However, for an adult who is not accompanied by a child, it may not be the best tour option. It is expensive, at upwards of $20 (for adults), and though your driver will probably give you an informed tour, he/she will also play silly songs over the PA and encourage you to use your yellow plastic quacker at passers-by. My son and I love it when people quack at us, but other Philly natives can be rude about it.

If you're interested, check out the website, and take a gander at the boats themselves when they're lined up on 6th St (just north of where it crosses Chestnut)-- maybe for you, like us, it will be enough to see these interesting vehicles. If you do want to RIDE the Ducks, I would advise going early. I believe the first tours start at 10am, and it seems to me like most of the people along the tour route in the morning are the genial type (like women with strollers) and not the jaded wet blankets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The duck boats are terrible! I've even started a campaign against them i hate them so much. Look at my blog and you'll understand! shuttheduckup.blogspot.com! And once you understand please sign my petition @ www.thepetitionsite.com/1/1shuttheduckup

Thanks!