Friday, May 25, 2007

Chinatown

The convention center is just south of Chinatown, and I must admit, I have not explored this area enough. I can tell you that the two restaurants that my friends enjoy most in Chinatown are Penang and Vietnam Restaurant (NOT to be confused with Vietnam Palace, which is across the street but is nowhere near as good, in my experience). Of the two, Vietnam Restaurant is my personal favorite, with fun cocktails and a great BBQ appetizer platter. I'm in love with the crispy spring rolls! I have found that the big entrees with sauces are a bit too heavy for my taste, and getting something lighter on top of rice vermicelli always suits me best.

If you just want to stop in to escape the heat or take a break in the afternoon, try the Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk, or the homemade coconut ice cream. These were some of my favorite treats back in the days when I could meet up there with friends to relax after work. Unless you're planning an event/party, they don't take reservations, so be prepared for a bit of a wait if you go at prime dinner hour-- though I've never had to wait a ridiculously long time for a table.

Other than Vietnam Restaurant, the only thing I know about in Chinatown is the arch at 10th and Arch Streets (which is an impressive sight). If you have never been to a Chinatown in New York or San Francisco, etc., then you should definitely take a little stroll into ours. It has lots of Asian gift shops and groceries, and since it is so close to the convention center, why not see what it's all about?

No comments: